The Best Electric Scooters ReviewedWhich of these fantastic scooters should you pick then? Well, the most important aspects to be looking at are:
- How far you need to go.
- How fast you need to get there.
- How much you’re willing to pay.
- And if you prefer a seated or standing position, or why not both.
Best value – Speedway Mini4 Pro
- Motor Power: 3200Watts(2x1600Watts) Max Drive Distance:56mile Max Driving Speed: 55MPH
- Battery: 30AH 60Volts lithium battery 45A X2 Controller Scooter Weight：37kg
- 11 inch off-road pneumatic tire Single/double motor switching Double Hydraulic brakes 4 types light switch Max load:300Kg
- Double controllers Cruise Control 4X front shock 45 degree double shock absorber Power saving mode
- 2Second Quick-Folding IP5 Ｗater proof Key start Power saving mode Double charging interface (faster charging) Double Brake light * (Different weight, different road, will affect the distance and speed)
- Great distance
- Lightest in its class
- Good price
- Add-ons available
- Customization features
- Fast charging
- No risk of flats
- Solid rubber tires
- Miss the signal lights on the IV
Best portable electric scooter – Xiaomi m365
- [SCOOTER REPAIR PROGRAM]- Launching of Repair Programme for M365 Mi Electric Scooter with the Hook Made of Aluminium Alloy. Contact Xiaomi Support for more information
- [EXTREMELY FAST AND LONG-RANGE BATTERY LIFE] – A 250W motor propels the e-scooter to a max speed of 15. 5 MPH. High capacity battery with a maximum travel range of up to 18. 6 miles under specific conditions
- [PORTABLE FOLDING DESIGN] -Weighs just 26. 9 lbs. Portable folding design for easy storage at home or hand carry when necessary. The sturdy frame is made of aerospace-grade aluminum
- Stable and high-quality
- Two different speed-modes
- Good speed and distance per charge
- Excellent brakes
- Spare-parts are available
- Tires are prone to flats
- Had to adjust brakes upon arrival
- Distance per charge is a bit optimistic
Best premium choice for long distance riding- Speedway IV
- Premium 36v, 7.8ah lithium ion battery with 15-mile range and 3.25 hrs. charge time
- Not a toy — aircraft aluminum frame is designed for daily use by commuters and other adults.
- Powerful 250 watt (600 watt peak) DC hub motor with electronic antilock maintenance-free brake plus a rear fender press brake
- Front tire suspension and Honeycomb never-flat airless rubber tires
- Patented dolly and vertical self-standing feature lets you roll it like a suitcase and stand it vertically out of the way
- Premium comfort
- Great distance per charge
- High speed
- Good quality
- Heavy unit
- Expensive but worth it
Great value – Qiewa Q1
- Revolutionary Upgrade of Electric Scooters: With powerful 350W motor, Segway Ninebot MAX can reach to 18. 6 mph, travel up to 40. 4 miles and max load of 220 lbs. Our Smart Battery Management System assures the battery safety and extends the battery life.
- Portable Folding Design: One-step folding system for easy portability. Segway Ninebot MAX electric scooter can be folded with ease in mere 3 seconds. Carry it on public transportation, store it in your car and any destination you desire effortlessly.
- Insane performance
- Accurate distance per charge
- Great shock absorption
- Excellent torque
- Folding is a snap
- Bottom plate that protects the battery have had thicker metal
- Long charge time with the standard charger
Best scooter for commuting – Glion Dolly
2 used from $299.99
- SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE – The electric scooter features an upgraded 350 Watt motor, boasting an 18. 6 MPH max speed and a range of 17 miles, tackles steep 15% hills with ease.
- ONE-STEP FOLD DESIGN – With 1-second foot-actuated folding, the electric scooter can be quickly collapsed. After folding, the MAX scooter can be carried one-handedly, making it a perfect commute companion.
- SAFETY AND COMFORT – Braking is smooth and secure. The excellent braking system makes the brake respond more quickly and improves the safety when in use. The front shock absorber provides maximum rider comfort.
- Fantastic problem solver for various commutes
- Highly portable and can be dragged around like a suitcase
- 1-second easy-to-operate folding mechanism
- Lightweight in comparison
- Shock-reducing indestructible tires
- A small delay between twisting the throttle and acceleration(0.3 sec)
- Hard brakes which take some getting used to
Best Razor Scooter – Razor E300 & E300S
- Dual Batteries: With an extra Lithium Ion battery and upgraded motor, ES4 boasts up to 800W of power, with a top-speed of 19 mph, travel up to 28 miles and accommodate a max load of 220 lbs. The ES4 can take you just about anywhere you want to go.
- Portable Folding Design: Ninebot Kickscooter by Segway ES4 is sleek, lightweight and features a one-step folding system. Now our riders can carry the ES4 scooter on public transportation, store it in your car and take it to any destination you desire.
- Easy to assemble
- Wide area to stand on
- Good sized pneumatic tires for great suspension
- 300s has a detachable seat
- Distance per charge varies heavily depending on the user’s weight
- Lead-acid battery giving it a shorter lifespan and much longer recharge time(up to 12 hrs)
Best compact scooter – URB-E Black Label
- With its super-sized deck and frame, the Razor E300 electric scooter is ready to roll for teen and adult riders up to 220 pounds (100 kg)
- Powered by a 250-watt, high-torque, single-speed, chain-driven motor that delivers a top speed of up to 15 mph (24 km/h)
- Rechargeable 24V (two 12V) sealed lead-acid battery system provides up to 40 minutes of continuous use
- Features an all-steel frame and fork for a solid ride that stands up to rugged use
- The design is flawless and it makes it stable even though its a lightweight unit
- Quality and the “you get what you pay for” feeling
- Easy to operate
- You ride very comfortable even when going farther distances
- Highly portable thanks to the fold and push feature
- Has built-in USB-port so you can charge and connect mobile devices
- Great disc brake system
- Very expensive
Razor Power Core E90
2 used from $68.90
- Innovative Power Core technology features a 85-watt, maintenance-free, high-torque, hub motor that delivers smooth acceleration to up to 10 mph (16 km/h) with the push of the throttle
- Rechargeable 12V sealed lead-acid battery provides an extended ride time of up to 80 minutes of continuous use
- Rear-wheel drive delivers better balance control and traction for a safer, more stable ride
- Features a lightweight, all-steel frame and fork and flat-free, airless rear tire for a solid ride
- The kick-to-start is a great feature for the youngsters
- Perfect speed cap for the intended audience
- Great distance
- Low maintenance ownership
- 12-hours of charging for a kid’s toy. Do they have kids of their own?
- Still solid rubber tires
- A lead-acid battery which still has a shorter lifespan
Razor Pocket Mod
- European Flair and American Design – A vintage-inspired electric scooter for riders age 13 and up, with a maximum weight of 170 lbs (77 kg)
- Authentic Styling – With its padded seat, twist-grip throttle control, and hand-operated brake, the Pocket Mod provides a scaled-down Euro-style scooter that looks and feels like the real thing
- Electric-powered Fun – The high-torque, chain-driven motor boasts speeds up to 15 mph (24 km/h) with up to 40 minutes of continuous ride time on a single battery charge
- Easy to assemble
- The compartment in the seat allows for bringing basic necessities
- Can be used on most terrain such as gravel, dirt, and grass to name a few
- Elegant design and available in multiple color combinations
- Low range
- Slow acceleration and low torque
- A 12-hour downtime due to recharging
Toddlers choice – Pulse Performance Safe Start Toddler
- Forty minutes of outside play time on a single charge
- Easy to control, smooth steering
- Safe Start push button for smooth acceleration and deceleration
- Three large, smooth rolling urethane wheels
- Six volt rechargeable battery with charging unit included
- Brake style: Rear Braking
- Safe and lightweight
- Sturdy structure
- Very easy to use
- Assembles in minutes
- Charge lasts longer than expected
- Might be fun for a while but they’ll be begging you for more speed
- Lengthy recharge time of 8-hours
Super Turbo 1000w EliteWith the Super Turbo 1000W from Supercycles & scooters, you get a really fast electric scooter that posses great performance on various terrain and a top speed of 26-30 mph depending on your weight. It has a button that lets you switch between two different modes economy and turbo which basically translates into getting you further or getting there faster. It comes equipped with a comfortable seat and there is plenty of room for your legs. When I tested it out in economy mode I got approximately 15 miles while still going up a few hills here and there. It has rugged front shocks and tires which lets you navigate good and comfortably even if the train is harsh. A great solution for the daily commute, those without a driver’s license looking for a bit more freedom or as silent transportation on hunting trips.
- The front shocks and comfortable seat make for a nice and smooth ride
- Takes you where you want to go fast
- Has a decent mileage per charge
- Foldable and can be easily loaded into a sedan-trunk
- Detachable seat
- Lead-acid batteries
- The standard accessory line isn’t included(basket and so on)
Razor E200 & RX200Another very popular Razor scooter is the E200. It is a lightweight, yet powerful model that targets kids between the ages of 5-13. It delivers a good speed of 12 mph which is perfect for the user in mind and it is said to have an ultra-quiet high torque chain-driven motor. The motor is powered by a 24v lead acid battery giving your boy or girl a decent 40 minutes of fun. It has a good ground clearance thanks to its 8-inch pneumatic tires which also helps reduce shocks on bumpy terrain. A full-sized deck that gives you plenty of foot-room and a twist-grip throttle for easy and accurate adjustment of speed. Thanks to the 8-inch pneumatic tires it has a good ground clearance and the inflatable tires also help in reducing shocks when riding on uneven terrain. A full-sized deck that gives you plenty of foot-room and a twist-grip throttle for easy and accurate adjustment of speed. The big differences between the RX200 and the E200 are that the RX200 are more off-road friendly. The new model RX 200 has a few new features up its sleeve including off-road tires, disc brake, and improved gear ratio giving the motor higher torque to enable off-road riding. With the RX200 the ride starts where the pavement ends, just as Razor describes the scooter themselves. I highly recommend the E200 to those with young children as it may be used for many years to come. My guess is that 4-5 years old can handle it well as my kids have no problem riding it. If you have a dirt track nearby your house you should definitely go with the RX200 instead, just keep in mind that the price differs around $60-$70.
- Quiet motor.
- The full steel body provides a safe and sturdy ride.
- Large pneumatic tires provide a smooth ride.
- Perfect for 6-year-olds up to teens.
- Assembled in under 2 minutes.
- Just as every Razor scooter the recharge time is too much
- Distance is a bit bad while riding off-road
- E200 has a problem with steeper hills
Swagtron SwaggerSwagtron’s addition to the e-scooter market is the Swagger. It is aimed to please the adult audience with a decent maximum speed of 15 mph and a distance that varies heavily between 5-15 miles depending on weight and inclines. However, as an adult at 175lbs, it never took me further than 7 miles and the battery capacity declined pretty fast after a few recharges. When the capacity declines so did its performance and at a 50% battery level it was barely fun for me to ride on. But hey, you can always help it out with some human leg power. If you are looking for a budget scooter or if you’re a teenager the Swagger is a decent pick. For those around 90-120lbs, the performance decline would be less noticeable and you would probably be able to go around 9-10 miles on a single charge.
- The simple and easy-to-use folding mechanism
- Fast recharging in less than 2 hrs
- UL 2272 certified battery
- Lightweight at 17 lbs so you can take it with you anywhere
- The low distance was a bummer
- A vague user manual
- A bit bumpy to ride on
- The battery indicator fluctuates heavily while riding due to it recalculating battery left if riding at the same phase
Adult electric scooter buyers guide
Reasons as to why adults should utilize oneIf not for the obvious reason that our climate is heading in the wrong direction with all the carbon dioxide emissions from cars, factories, and even public transportation. Then there are a few other very good reasons to why you should already be utilizing the fantastic perks of an electric scooter.
- Cost-effective transportation. The cost-effectiveness riding one isn’t even comparable to a fuel-driven vehicle. Therefore your cost for transportation will be drastically lowered and you will end up with more money in your pockets.
- Easy to operate. Learning to ride a scooter takes approximately 5 minutes and is as simple as stepping up on the footpad and twisting the throttle.
- Lightweight and portable. The total weight for this type of transportation vehicles comes in at around 28 lbs, which means that you can easily take it with you anywhere.
- Environmental-friendly side perk. Even if you aren’t an environmentally conscious person the side effect of you using an electric scooter for the fun of it is that you are still lowering your carbon footprint.
- A much more enjoyable way of travel. An ideal and really fun way to get from point A to point B.
- Available to all and without age limitation. Whether you’re a toddler, a kid, a teenager, or an adult there are electric scooters that will fit your needs, age, and weight.
- No license required. You don’t need a driver’s license to operate the scooter. Most scooters have a top speed below 20 mph. However, we recommend the use of proper safety gear such as a helmet which is required by law in some states.
- Less maintenance needed. Apart from chain-saw oil for some motors and changing the tube on the inflatable tires or getting a new battery after a few years, there is little to no maintenance needed. But if needed the cost for spare parts is often very low. Especially compared to car parts.
- Battery quality makes for safe riding. These scooters come with high capacity batteries that have long battery life and they are built of high-quality cells providing them a longer lifespan. Most scooters have UL certified chargers and batteries and safety is always a top priority for the brands. Many also possess extra safety features such as multiple circuit breakers, safety switches, and high-quality braking systems (both electrical and mechanical).
How to think prior to purchaseHow do you know which model might be the best fit for you? There are a few important things to consider when choosing a scooter. Whether you’re looking for an electric scooter for your kids or you need something sturdier to suit an adult these six questions are a must. There are a few important questions you should be asking yourself when choosing a scooter. Whether you are looking for a kids model or you need something sturdier to suit the needs of an adult, these six questions are a must.
- What type of scooter do I need: Will you be using it to commute to the office or just for fun.
- How far do you need to go: Make it clear how far you’d want it to go on a single charge, and narrow your options down to just those that fit the bill.
- Weight Capacity needed: While looking at an electric scooter for kids weight capacity might not be of much importance. But if you are looking at electric scooter for adults you need to make sure that it can carry enough weight to take you and whatever you might need to bring with you, whether it be a laptop or a bag of groceries.
- Changeable battery-packs: If you need to go greater distances or just want to reduce the downtime in between charges, make sure you can utilize an extra battery pack. This doesn’t only extend the distance you can go on a single run, it also works as an insurance that you can have in your backpack.
- Price point: You want to get the best price so don’t forget to compare similar products and make sure to look for any ongoing discounts or promotions.
- Making sure its a match: Once again make sure the electric scooter you’re looking at will have enough range, weight limit and speed to cover all your scooter needs.
Need to know – The basics of how they workKnowing the basic ingredients that make up an electric scooter might be one of the most important factors when trying to figure out which one you might be interested in. Therefore I’ve created a short introduction to each part below and what purpose they serve.
- Frame: The thing that holds everything together should be built out of high-quality materials otherwise it can be bent easily. The frame can be made out of various metals such as carbon, aluminum, and steel. If you want a sturdy structure that can accommodate a heavy load, go for steel. If you want a lightweight and portable unit, then you should stick with carbon or aircraft-grade aluminum.
- Motor: Brushless electrical motors are the most common and they range between 100 all the way up to 2500watt. Nowadays most scooters utilize hub motors, a hub motor is a motor built into the wheel of the scooter. These are very silent and you won’t even see it. However, there are still some models mainly from Razor that are still using the old chain-driven motor.
- Battery: The unit is powered by either one or multiple lead-acid batteries or the more common lithium-ion battery. They both have their strengths but I always prefer lithium-ion batteries due to them weighing a lot less, have a faster recharge time, and a longer lifespan.
- Brakes: A key component of every electronic transportation vehicle is the braking system. The ability to get good braking power when you need it is of utmost importance. There are a few different braking mechanisms used and these are mechanical, electronic, fluid. Some have the basic bicycle brakes or engine brakes, but the most common and safe one is the mechanical disc brakes. These braking systems rarely leave you hanging and are very safe providing you direct and accurate braking power whenever needed. Electronic disc brakes are also something we see a lot on today’s e-scooters and these are very good. But be cautious that electric brakes can if something goes wrong stop working, therefore most scooter manufacturers have additional brakes in case of an emergency.
- Features: Alongside the parts that make up the scooter you have the extra features such as seats, leg-stand, lights, and other things that are merely there to support and enhance the rider’s experience.