TABLE OF CONTENTS
If you are looking for the best electric scooter for kids, you have probably come across GoTrax. GoTrax has developed a reputation for producing reliable, cost-effective, and safe scooters for people of all ages, including children. One of their most popular scooter lines is the GoTrax GKS. There are several models available, including the basic GoTrax GKS, the GKS Lumios, the GKS Pro, and the GKS Plus. Which scooter is right for your child, and how do you choose the best GoTrax scooter for kids to meet your needs? There are several important points to consider.
The Design of the GKS
First, it is important to go through the design of the scooters themselves. While all four scooters are slightly different, they have a lot in common. After all, they come from the same line, and all but one are designed for young kids. A few important points to keep in mind include:
The handlebars of the GKS scooters are not fancy, and they do not have to be. After all, this is a scooter for a child, not necessarily a teenager (which is the Vibe). Unlike many GoTrax scooters for adults, there is no LED screen or tech stack located on the handlebars, and they do not fold inward. There is also no handbrake on the handlebars themselves.
Of course, the lack of a handbrake can be concerning, but the GKS uses a specific safety start technology that uses a couple of pressure sensors. This makes the scooter easier to ride for children while also keeping them safe. Plus, for braking, your kids will just use their heel to press the foot brake on the rear wheel.
Of note, the rubber handlebars also have a nice texture. This makes it easier for children to hold the handlebars without their hands slipping. This also gives the handlebars the ability to stand up to routine wear and tear. The GKS scooter handlebars are among the most durable options available.
Speaking of durability, the frame is also made of sturdy aluminum while still remaining lightweight. The GKS frame will not buckle under routine wear and tear as well. Even though it is not the heaviest kids electric scooter available, it can stand up to a lot of stress; however, you do need to keep the scooter dry. If it is exposed to too much moisture, it will start to rust.
If you are looking for a kids scooter that will stand up to rust and corrosion, then you may want to go with GKS Lumiosinstead of the standard GoTrax GKS. The GKS Lumios is made from aircraft-grade aluminum. Therefore, it can stand up to a lot more punishment, including exposure to moisture.
Keep in mind that the GKS kids scooter is also significantly cheaper, so there is a payoff.
There is a lot of intentionality behind the design of the GKS deck. While the GKS is designed to be durable, it is also designed to be safe for younger riders. First, the deck is relatively low to the ground. This keeps the rider’s center of gravity low to the ground as well, making it easier for them to balance. The lower the center of gravity is, the easier it is for a child to maintain control over the scooter.
The deck on this electric kick scooter also features two separate pressure sensors that power its “start safe” technology. This is an important safety feature that we will get into later.
Of course, the deck also has an interesting optical illusion pattern. This is an attractive feature that will make young riders fall in love with this option immediately.
GKS scooters have also been made with solid rubber wheels. Even though solid rubber wheels can make for a rough ride, they are better for children. If the scooter was made with pneumatic tires, there would be a high likelihood of a child getting a flat tire somewhere a significant distance away from home. You don’t want to worry about young kids getting stranded and with solid tires, it’s not something you need to worry about.
Furthermore, solid tires are extremely low maintenance. Overall, the wheels are another reason why the GKS line has a reputation for being incredibly durable.
The New Safe Step Technology
Without a doubt, one of the most popular things about the GoTrax GKS scooter line is the new safe step technology. There are two small buttons on the deck that are a great safety feature. For a kid to start the scooter, he or she has to stand on the two buttons.
Once the system feels that someone has stepped on the deck, the motor will automatically start. Then, the wheels will slowly start to turn. Gradually, the motor will pick up speed until it reaches the limit. However, it is important to note that you have to kick start the scooter THEN step on the two buttons. The scooter won’t start from a standstill just by pressing the two buttons.
If your child wants to slow down the scooter, all he or she has to do is take his or her foot off the back button. Then, the motor will automatically shut down, causing the scooter to come to a gradual, comfortable stop. This is a great way for children to learn how to control the speed of the scooter.
Even though it can be frustrating that there is no handbrake on the scooter, the safe start technology is also very easy to use. There is also a rear foot brake that kids can press in order to
OTHER SCOOTERS TO CONSIDER
SPECIFICATION, COMPARISONS, and REVIEWS
|GoTrax GMax Ultra
|Segway Ninebot Max G30P
|GoTrax GXL V2
|Hiboy S2 Pro
|The Kugoo M2 Pro
|Segway Ninebot ES4
The Pros and Cons of the GoTrax GKS Line
There are plenty of kick scooter options for kids. Therefore, it might be helpful to take a look at a few of the benefits and drawbacks of the GoTrax GKS line.
There are a lot of significant advantages that come with the GoTrax GKS electric scooter line. Some of the top benefits include:
- This is one of the cheapest scooter lines available. The basic GKS scooter starts at less than $100
- The scooters also come in a wide range of colors. You can customize them to meet the needs of your child.
- The safety start technology is a significant advantage. It is very easy for children to use, and it has a very short learning curve.
- This is also one of the lightest scooters available. If you need to pick it up and carry it somewhere else, it is not that much of a hassle.
- The scooter is built with a durable frame. It can stand up to a lot of wear and tear.
- It is relatively straightforward to put the scooter together. It will not take you very long to get the scooter together.
These are a few of the top advantages of going with the GoTrax GKS line of scooters.
On the other hand, there are a few drawbacks as well. These include:
- If you are looking for a scooter with a hand brake, you will not find it here. It is relatively easy to learn how to use the safety start technology, but it can be confusing to go without a handbrake.
- The scooters take a long time to charge. The regular GKS scooter can take up to 5 hours to charge completely.
- The scooter doesn’t fold. If you are looking for a model that will fold over for easy transport, you might be out of luck with the GKS.
- The GKS lineup doesn’t use a pneumatic tire system. Without a pneumatic tire, the rider will feel a LOT of bumps
- The maximum speed of each of these scooters is less than 10 mph which can be good (from a parent’s perspective) or bad (from a younger kid perspective)
You can think about the benefits and drawbacks of each option before you make a decision.
The Differences Between the Gotrax GKS Scooters
Now that we have a good feel for the GoTrax GKS line as a whole, it is time to take a look at the differences between the individual scooters. A few key points to keep in mind include:
The standard GKS starts at a price of $99.99. It is the cheapest option available. The GKS Lumios is about $40 more expensive than the standard GKS. Gotrax GKS Pro is $170, making it more expensive than the Lumios and the Pro. The GKS Plus is the most expensive, at $230.
The standard GKS comes in at just under 18 pounds and can handle a rider up to 154 pounds. The GKS Lumios and Pro are about one pound heavier with the same rider weight limit. The GKS Plus has the highest weight limit, at 176 pounds.
The standard GKS, GKS Lumios, and GKS Plus all have a top speed of 7.5 MPH. The GKS Pro has a top speed of 9 MPH.
The standard GKS has a range of about 4 miles, depending on the weather conditions, hills, and speed. The GKS Lumiosand GKS Pro has a range of close to five miles. The GKS Plus has the longest range, which is 7 miles.
Why Is the GKS Lumios Better?
There are several reasons why you might want to GKS Lumios. While the GKS Lumios is about $40 more expensive than the stand GKS, some of the biggest advantages include:
- It has a more powerful motor, allowing it to accelerate faster.
- Has a range of close to 5 miles about one mile further than the standard GKS.
- It features an LED front tire, a nice stylistic upgrade.
- You can adjust the height of the handlebars to meet the needs of your child.
The GKS Lumios is still meant for younger children, but it has a longer range and a slightly more powerful motor with the same top speed.
Why Is the GKS Pro Better?
The GKS Pro is significantly more expensive than the standard GKS and GKS Lumios, but there are a number of advantages. These include:
- If you have a taller child, the GKS Pro has a larger frame, which will be more comfortable.
- You might also choose GKS Pro because it has a slightly faster top speed, coming in at approximately 9 MPH.
- The GKS Pro has the same motor as the GKS Lumios, giving it a faster pickup than the standard GKS.
Because the GKS Pro has a larger frame and a higher top speed, it is meant for older children and preteens.
Why Is the GKS Plus Better?
While the GKS Plus is significantly more expensive, it comes with a number of added benefits. These include:
- The GKS Plus has the same motor as the Lumios and Pro, giving it a bit more pickup than the standard GKS.
- The biggest advantage of GKS plus is the longer battery life, with a range of close to seven miles.
- It can handle a much heavier rider, with a limit of 176 pounds.
It doesn’t have a faster top speed than the other scooters, but it is good for heavier children given the bigger weight limit.
Final Thoughts About the GoTrax GKS electric kids scooter lineup
If you are looking for the best cheap electric scooter for kids, the decision is easy — get the GKS. However, if you want a little more speed, more features, and want the best scooter for a younger kid, then you should look at the GKS Pro, Plus, and Lumios.
However, if you have been looking at razor electric scooter models and comparing them to the GoTrax GKS lineup, I think the GKS line is built better than the Razor e100 or even the Razor e300 electric scooter. In general, I think GoTrax is better built and from a design perspective, they look great. I think razor scooters have a tendency to look cheap.
Going the other direction, if you want a more sleek and refined scooter, I think the best scooter for a younger kid is the Segway ninebot zing e8.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most frequent questions and answers!